About Me

My photo
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Initial Thoughts on My First Couple of Days in Cambodia

I'm pretty sure that of all the countries I've visited only Laos is poorer than here but I'm still in awe of the people.

It stuns me that people that have every right to NOT be happy, given all that this country has been thru in the last 30 years, greet me with a big, genuine smile filled with happiness. My tuk-tuk driver for the day greeted me this morning by asking how I slept last night, I responded very well and asked him and he said "I slept happy!" and he knew exactly what he had said. Says an amazing amount about the people.

The Angkor Archaeological Park is massive, covering about 155 square miles. There isn't enough vacation on the planet to see it all in detail.

The free market is alive and well here. From children to adults they will sell anything with zeal and just a hint of aggression (which could very well be a bit of desperation). All this from a country that didn't even have a currency 25 years ago.

Change is coming fast to Siem Reap. The construction here makes Morgantown look mellow and the traffic would scare someone from New Jersey but there is a rhythm and a flow that is something to behold.

Running out of time on the computer, will post again soon!

No comments: