About Me

My photo
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Boredom in January

There are moments when work frustrates us all. Sometimes it is unexpected but oftentimes our jobs have a natural rhythm and we know when and what will frustrate us. The airline industry is no exception.
While there are many times when the job is unpredictably frustrating with mechanical problems, grumpy passengers and the like there are also times when frustration is as predictable as Newark air traffic control delays. One of those frustrating times is January. The whole month is a waste for me. Once the big Christmas rush is over the flying dries up and in creeps boredom. I remember my first January at work where I only flew six days for the entire month. Fortunately I get a guaranteed base salary so it isn't financially ruinous.
This year I flew the first three days of the month on "made-up" patterns that simply add unneeded staffing to airplanes, it seems to be some sort of attempt by my employer to add to the amazing customer service (snicker) that we already have. The problem with that is now I'll probably not fly much more for the rest of the month. It's all about finding ways to stave off boredom until March and spring break flying starts up. I've settled into Netflix mode and with "The Biggest Loser" back and "American Idol" coming next week I've gotten good at time killing.
I've often thought that I should get a hobby of some sort but being a renter it can't be anything that involves lots of set-up and tear down so there goes woodworking and train collecting and I like my freedom so pot growing is also scratched off the list. (I'm just checking to see if you're comprehending what you're reading!) As much as I've thought about it I haven't thought of anything that sounds interesting to get into so I continue to watch an insane amount of tv and grow yet even more bored.
Anyone have any ideas?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What do you like to do? Figure that out and then do it. I'm very, very embarrassed to admit it but a self-help book helped me find film-making. It's called "I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was." Check it out from the library or I can bring you my copy in February.
I would have just told this on the phone but I know that you like it when I comment on your blog.